[Healeys] oil pump

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 18:54:59 MDT 2018

Probably due to aeration (foaming) of the oil due to cavitation. When I
was bringing my BJ8 home from my dad's after after installing a rebuilt
engine, I cracked the pan on the concrete lip of his shop (but didn't
realize I was leaking).  As I drove home, I saw the pressure at speed
drop from 55psi to about 35psi and thought: "Hmmmm ... that's odd."
Stopped on the driveway for just a couple minutes while I opened the
garage door and when I pulled the car into the garage there was a small
puddle on the driveway (mystery solved).   Welded the pan and added a
couple quarts and drove it a couple hundred miles--at normal
pressure--before replacing the pan.

The oil pressure gauge indicates both long-term trends (e.g. bearing
wear) and short-term (oil loss).  If you had an oil temperature gauge
you'd see the temp go up if you're losing oil, as the oil becomes less
viscous.