[Healeys] 100 heater motor or switch problem

Michael Salter michael.salter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:04:11 MDT 2018

Hi Michael,
I would think that you would be best to remove the heater entirely because
as I recall the motor is trapped between the matrix and the firewall.
There are 3 1/4" UNF studs on the back of the heater that secure it in
position
2 protrude through a bracket which is welded to the upper surface of the
air duct and can be accessed by reaching behind the heater.
The 3rd, bottom, one is a little more difficult. The nut is inside the air
duct and is accessed by removing a rubber plug from the engine side of the
firewall about 3" below the wiring harness grommet.
Obviously the 2 hoses have to be detached and the 2 bullet connectors on
the wires to the heater disconnected.
I have found that the motor is easily serviced and that the rheostat is
usually reasonably reliable.
Installation is, as you have noted, the reversal of removal and takes 10
times as long.