[Healeys] Lift for Healeys

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Oct 23 22:22:25 MDT 2018

I've been a bit distracted by recent events, but I'm still researching
lifts.  I called the '800' number for Greg Smith lifts, and talked a guy
that (I think) was a distributor in Riverside, CA.  I mentioned I would
prefer an American-made lift and he let slip--or was just being
forthright, I can't say for sure--that all lifts save Mohawk brand were
made in China (probably, they are made in China in one or a few
factories but are distributed under various brands; the Greg Smith site
cites a 'Texas company;'  check it out for some 'dirt' on lifts).  I'd
not heard of Mohawk but, of course, I immediately stated googlin'. The
Mohawk site has issues, but has some, er, 'interesting' information (see
here:

http://mohawkliftpics.com/product-pictures/2-post-lifts/a-7/

... and look, in particular, under 'Comparison Photo Galleries'

One option is for 4 wheel cradles that effectively turn the lift into a
4-post.   I really like this idea.

The Mohawk site doesn't list any prices, so it's one of those 'if you
have to ask' things.  But, I'm OK buying a cheap made-in-China tool from
Harbor Freight that probably will leak air but I might use 6 times in my
lifetime, but getting under a lift with plastic wheels and cables, and
welds that break makes me nervous.

Just passing what I've learned along.  This is a significant investment
for me, and I'm inclined to spend extra up front for peace of mind.

Bob