[Healeys] Paint type and color

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Oct 22 03:26:07 MDT 2018

There still seems to be some confusion between the type of construction of the badge and the material that is in the colored part.

Cloisonné and champlevé are jewelers' terms that refer to how the badge is constructed, while the red material is either "vitreous enamel" or paint.

>From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Definition of cloisonné (adjective)

: of, relating to, or being a style of enamel decoration in which the enamel is applied and fired in raised cells (as of soldered wires) on a usually metal background — compare champlevé <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/champlevé>

Definition of champlevé (adjective)

: of, relating to, or being a style of enamel decoration in which the enamel is applied and fired in cells depressed (as by incising) into a metal background — compare cloisonné <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cloisonné>

Definition of vitreous enamel (noun)

: a fired-on opaque glassy coating on steel or other metals

— called also porcelain enamel

Based on these definitions, the BJ7/BJ8 badge construction is champlevé, while the red material is vitreous enamel or paint.  Some have claimed that their badge never had either material but were plain chrome.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large