[Healeys] Paint type and color

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 19 18:14:53 MDT 2018

I have been watching and learning a lot during this thread.  I felt it was time to offer the solution I am using regarding the repainting of my front badge.  After much searching of nail polishes -  first because I did not want a container of paint that would probably dry out before I needed it again and second I am somewhat frugal (c-h-e-a-p, pronounced “frugal”) - I settled on a nail polish named Petites by Scherer, #56, Blackberry.  This is very close to the original red and contains some very fine metal flake.  When viewed from a favorable direction, it reflects off the flakes slightly and can appear glass-like.  The attached picture shows some reflection of my camera flash off of the paint below the “3000 Mk III”.  I do not know if it is still available as I have not needed to purchase any recently.  Whatever polish or paint you use, the process would be the same.

My process consisted of masking off the chrome side portions and wings of the badge.  I did not mask the “Austin Healey” or “3000 Mk III” script or the raised frames around the script.  Using a hobby spray gun, I sprayed several light coats of the polish over the entire badge.  With a very stiff sponge or a flat piece of wood with cloth wrapped around it, I wet the sponge or cloth with acetone (or maybe lacquer thinner?).  Because the script and the frames are at the same height, wiping across them removes the nail polish from those surfaces leaving them free of polish while not touching the polish in the depressions.

Some experimentation is required.  It’s not concourse but more than adequate for me.

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031

           217,852 miles