[Healeys] Grease. What is best

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 09:25:48 MST 2018

All greases are oil with a thickening agent; cheap, everyday grease uses
finely ground diatomaceous earth, 'moly' grease uses molybdenum, lithium
grease uses lithium, etc.  I don't know, but suspect, 'synthetic' grease
is synthetic oil with an (unknown) thickening agent.  Since it's just a
mixture--no chemical bonding involved--the oil will eventually separate
and flow out.  I have noticed that wheel bearing grease isn't as prone
to this as 'regular' grease; I have some Redline synthetic wheel bearing
grease that has sat on the shelf for a couple years with no separation,
and even some non-synthetic Sta-Lube wheel bearing grease that I've had
for maybe 20 shows little sign of separation, but it's usually too thick
to use in a grease gun.  I bought some 'water pump' grease many years
ago when I had a pump with open bearings, but it's really thick and tacky.

I think it's more of a messy nuisance than anything, as long as the
grease is still soft, oily and slippery it's probably good for normal usage.

Bob