[Healeys] Fuel Pumps (AGAIN!)

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Nov 27 03:58:07 MST 2018

  Bob,

I have heard as well from Pel de Haas, a Dutch business partner of Dave
Dubois who also converts SU-pumps using Dave´s system, that he is not
well and at least for the moment out of action.

Your problems with the SU-pump are really a mystery to me. If adjusted
following the instructions there should be no problem at all. The only
thing that can cause problems is electrolytic corrosion of the points.
Perhaps the pump ventilation is not connected up? Both the vent on the
cover and the vent on the coil housing should be connected via a tube to
a dry place, usually the boot. Also a rubber band or friction tape
should be used to seal the cover. If the vent on the cover has a plastic
cap instead of a tube connection, this should point upwards as should be
the small domed air chamber of the pump body. This is not always the
case as often the coil housing has been fitted in the wrong orientation.
The pump should always be fitted horizontally with the outlet on top.

If the pump/car is stored for a longer period, especially in a not
dehumidified or damp environment, it is best to remove the cover and
slide a bit of acid free paper between the points to prevent
electrolytic corrosion. However I never had to do this on my own car,
where the pump is situated in the boot.

Kees Oudesluijs