[Healeys] Healey 100-4 timing

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Nov 4 08:37:49 MST 2018

re: "I'm wondering if I have been over thinking this process and the
stated advance is meant to be "at idle" with the vacuum connected..."

I've always disconnected the vacuum advance, at least for my BJ8 and (I
think) for my BN2.  I believe I read this in the shop manual, but don't
have it handy to check.  I've checked with and without the VA connected,
and didn't detect much, if any difference.  If you've set up HD8s 'per
the book,' you would be running on the slow run (bypass) circuit, and
the closed throttle would (I think, not sure) cover the VA port.

I'm not sure the vacuum vanishes at wide-open throttle* (WOT). There are
two types of vacuum: manifold and port; the type on SU carbs is, I
believe, the port type.  The depression (vacuum) is created, at least in
part, by venturi effect.  Hence, I don't think it goes away entirely,
even at WOT, but I'm not sure.

If you google 'manifold vs ported vacuum advance' you'll get a ton of
links; here's just one:

http://chevellestuff.net/tech/articles/vacuum/port_or_manifold.htm

So, the $64,000 question is whether the port in an SU carb is behind,
right on, or in front of a closed throttle plate (this article says the
purpose of port vacuum is to not advance at all at idle)?  First correct
answer wins the internet for today.

* I've always felt the term 'full throttle' to be a little, er,
confusing.  Since the purpose of the throttle, by definition of
'throttle,' is to restrain/limit airflow, wouldn't 'full throttle' be a
fully closed throttle?  The term may be evolved from 'fully open
throttle,' but got shortened (similar, perhaps, to how the aviation term
'on the backside of the power curve' probably gave us 'behind the curve.').

Bob