[Healeys] 1959 100-6 -play in the steering.

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 08:36:53 MDT 2018

Depends on what you mean by 'some play.'  Healey steering boxes are old
school worm and peg 'technology.'  There is usually a little play in the
steering wheel; about an inch side-to-side at the outer rim of the
steering wheel is typical/acceptable, and this is evident at a stop and
at all speeds.  You can tighten the adjustable 'thrust bolt' only to a
point, beyond which the worm and peg may bind and the wheel will not
return to center.  There is also the notorious 'scuttle shake,' which is
a resonant vibration usually around 55-60MPH, esp. on rough roads (this
is due to chassis resonance, not steering).  Properly set up, a Big
Healey should track fairly straight on a straight, flat road, but if
your car wanders excessively or has any erratic vibrations or jerkiness
it should be investigated.  Some things to look for:

- side-to-side play on the steering rocker shaft; there is a bronze bush
at the bottom of the box that can wear.  Same with the idler.
- check steering box and idler mounting bolts
- were the tie rod ends in good nick?  I think the earlier cars had
grease fittings; if they weren't properly serviced they would have worn.
- the king pins have bushes at the top and bottom trunnions.  Check by
getting the front end A-arms up on jackstands, grabbing the tire/wheel
at the top and bottom and trying to move the wheel back-and-forth vertically
- the front shocks are also, of course, the top of the front
suspension.  The upper A-arms are mounted to a shaft in the shock that
also has bushes; if they're worn you'd probably get some vibration or
wobble.  I think you can check that by removing the wheel and trying to
move the upper suspension side-to-side and front-to-back.  Shocks can be
rebuilt.
- wheel/tire balance and true.  Wire wheels can easily go 'out of
true.'  This can contribute to scuttle shake and other vibrations. It
appears you have 48-spoke wheels; though correct for your car, if you
intend to do much, um, 'spirited' driving you may break some spokes.

Nice car, BTW.

Bob