[Healeys] solid state pump

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jun 20 19:46:57 MDT 2018

Years ago, I bought a kit from SU to convert a points-type pump to solid
state.  The conversion steps were fairly complex and the kit came with a
'special' forked spacer to set the gap properly. I think it would be
problematic to (re-)set the gap, esp. without this tool.  FWIW, after
following the steps carefully the converted pump only worked a few
hundred miles before dying.

Some have had good luck with points, but I would only get a few thousand
miles on a set, and the aftermarket points I've seen in the last few
years appear to be of poor quality.   I've had some success with Dave
DuBois repairs/conversions, with one going over 30K miles, but one
failed me recently in the CA/NV desert after only a few hundred miles.
Still, with all their faults, I can't bring myself to give up on the SUs.

Bob