[Healeys] Brake line

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jul 23 08:16:56 MDT 2018

Agree.  Anecdotally--I've only worked a bit with SS--I believe it to be
harder and more brittle than mild steel.  A couple of cases:

- when trying to get a gas-tight and permanent seal at the exhaust
manifold to downpipe flange, I tried some SS studs from Doug Reid.  They
seemed to snap off with less torque than the mild steel ones, which I
ended up using

- I was experimenting with safety wiring the set pins in my gearbox, and
tried mild steel wire instead of SS and the SS wire broke more easily
than the mild steel.  I used the SS anyway, as, well, it's good enough
for the FAA (see photo)

Bob