[Healeys] Tires for BJ8

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 9 21:16:33 MDT 2018

Al:

I might advise you to have a look at the Longstone Tyre website – they’re in the UK – for the excellent information it contains.  These guys are right up there in terms of tires for Healeys, as well as pretty much all other collectible cars:

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

Like you, I am currently researching new tires for my BJ8. The Vredesteins – 185 70 15 - supplied by Allan Hendrix awhile back are close to timing out.  Gary is right, Allan is the only guy in North America to my knowledge that knows what he is doing.  Figures – he’s a Healey owner!

I have driven a friend’s BJ8 equipped with the Michelin 180 75 15 XAS – it’s an excellent tire for our Healeys.  My only reservation is that of aesthetics - it is quite ‘massive’ looking in the wheel wells – taller than the original Dunlop 590 15 tires that the factory supplied.  On some restored Healeys, there may be clearance problems in the wheel well.

Another friend here has installed the Michelin 165 15 XAS tire on his BJ7 (it’s an 80 series tire) and loves them, and they don’t look too bad on the car.  The XAS is an excellent steering / handling tire in any size – feels quite ‘vintage’ like – much more nimble feeling that a lot of replacement tires for the big Healey.  Be aware that all XAS’s  must be run with tubes – it’s just the way they are designed. When the time comes, (relatively soon now), I will probably go with these.

Have fun!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb