[Healeys] RH & LH drive cars

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Sun Jan 7 08:03:06 MST 2018

In the case of purpose built road racing cars like Bugatti, Ferrari & even Chapparal (to name only a few), it is my understanding that most were built as RH drive because the majority of the road racing tracks were run clockwise & RH drive placed the driver on the inside of the majority of the turns. The driver's weigh on the inside of the turn helps reduce roll & also makes it easier for the driver to precisely clip the apex. Coincidently, RH drive also places the driver closer to the photographer on the majority of turns, if the photographer is on the inside of the track.
No actual research was conducted during the preparation of this.
Gary Hodson