[Healeys] Strange Timing Setting

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Feb 18 10:30:44 MST 2018

I went through an early (BN2) pump for a different issue--erratic pumping--and noticed what appeared to be a small bypass port between the brass valves.  I surmised (guessed) that the passageway may be there to allow the pump to 'bleed down' when the engine isn't running.  Not sure why, but one reason could be that it could be detrimental to the diaphragm to be in the 'cocked and loaded' position for too long.  Can't say if the later pumps have something similar but, as Kees says, the flapper valves probably leak enough to prevent this.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA