[Healeys] FW: Radiator baffles

Robert Begani rfbegani at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 06:06:37 MST 2018

Hi Guys:

Sorry for the delay in responding as I was fabricating and fitting the
Radiator Baffle to front cowling.  Baffle idea and dimensions were taken
from a email and picture Kimo sent us a while ago with the dimensions 18.5
x14 inches with a lip to fit on the cross member.  It was constructed of
light gage sheet metal.  I gave the email with pictures to my friend George
with the machine shop man cave. He produced a heavy gage (.005-1/16 inch
thick) aluminum sheet with a 1 inch lip.  It was too large for the opening,
so I trimmed it to fit.  A little less than 18.5 on the with so it was
easier to position between the frame members.  In addition, I trimmed the
length to fit the slight curve of the cowling so it was 12.5 on the sides
with 12.75 plus minus.  You can see the layout in the 1st picture. If you
use light gage metal you can trim with a sheet metal scissors while I had to
use a side grinder with a metal cutting blade.

I found 2 holes in the cross member which are 1/4 inch in diameter when
cleaned up with a quarter inch drill so I could use a 5/16 x 18 tap to
create threads to fit a machine cap screw. I used a Unibit multistep drill
to cut a hole for the radiator drain.  On the front I used 1/4 x 20 machine
bolts to hold the baffle down on the cowling lip.  As you can see from the
pictures above it is now a structural part of the car.  Then I took it off
in order to paint to match the color of the car.  I will install it when the
radiator goes back in with a fan attached and, Hopefully, the engine is
ready to start.

I understand those who have installed such a baffle to direct air up into
the radiator and the engine compartment rather than flow under the care have
found the problem of vapor lock diminished.  Others have installed a
radiator fan in addition as I have and a bilge fan to force cool outside are
on the carbs.

>From Kimo's comments in Hawaii, the lower baffle seemed to work well. I am
convinced as long as the car is moving ad 20-30 mph the flow of air directed
by the baffle should keep the carbs cool while the addition of the radiator
fan should help when the car is stopped in traffic in hot summer traffic.
What do the other members of the group who have used the lower baffles say
about the use of baffles only, radiator fan only, bilge fan only and
combinations?

Finally, someone in this group, I think , fabricated additional metal
attached to air deflection assembly.  Is there such a car in the group, or
has anyone seen such a modification of the air deflection assembly?

Bob Begani
BJ8 67