[Healeys] FW: engine identification

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Tue Dec 25 10:29:38 MST 2018

Second attempt

From: simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com <simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com>
Sent: 25 December 2018 09:03
To: 'Bruce Steele' <healeybruce at roadrunner.com>; 'J. Scott Morris' <jstmorris at yahoo.com>; 'mitch' <dayton21 at comcast.net>; 'healeys at autox.team.net' <healeys at autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Healeys] engine identification

In my notes I have this:-

“R…Overdrive(Laycock)

U…Gearchange found on centre of floor ie not on column. Basically, means floor change.”

I asked very much the same question as you about 3 months ago. My “notes” derive from Steve’s answer at that time.

I guess BMC was trying to impose some sort of system(?) into their apparently haphazard production. And I suppose it’s a way of differentiating from the various cars that were shambling down the production line. Westminsters, for example, big saloons with +/- same engines as 3000s….they might have had column shift. I don’t recall. Nice cars and the Vanden Plas versions sell well today. To digress even further, Westminsters were ideal for “Banger Racing”….big, heavy and practically indestructible. Hence there are so few Westminster automatics around to donate their 3:54 diffs.

Happy Christmas,

Simon