[Healeys] engine identification

Bruce Steele healeybruce at roadrunner.com
Mon Dec 24 23:50:52 MST 2018

I’m perplexed by the references to the “U” in the engine number in the documents which Scott attached.  The first attachment states that 3000 Mk I commenced with engine number 29D-U-H101 and ended with 29D-U-H26212.  The second document states that “U” indicated a center shift gear box.  We know that all Mark I Healeys were side shift; the center shift was not introduced until near the end of the Mark II BN7/BT7 run in November, 1961 at engine number 29E/2246, chassis number BT7/15881 and BN7/16039, per Clausager’s book.  Hence, the 2 documents conflict and my confusion over the statement that the “U” refers to a center shift box.

Clausager states: “However, the engine prefix was later changed, possibly coinciding with the introduction of the six-port engine in 1957.  These engines had the prefix 26D, followed by U on non-overdrive cars, and R (or RU) on overdrive cars, finishing with the letter H for High compression” (Original Austin Healey, Clausager, 1990, pg. 87).

Case in point, my BN7, produced 26-28 September, 1960 is chassis number 12656 and engine number 29D-U-H/22855 (my car was originally a non-OD car), verified by the BMIHT certificate.  The gearbox is a correct side shift unit.  This is in agreement with Clausager’s description.

So, the assertion that U denotes center shift is quite confusing.  Anyone else able to weigh in?

Bruce Steele

Brea, CA

1960 BN7