[Healeys] clutch hydraulics question

Ed O'Neal Ed at wadsworthoneal.com
Sat Aug 25 05:31:15 MDT 2018

There is no suction from the hydraulic system. The pressure plate springs push the rod back in AS the clutch peddle is returned. Actually if you push in the peddle with the rod disconnected then release the peddle additional fluid will be drawn in from the reservoir and another push on the peddle and the rod will pop all the way out.

Actually there is a small spring inside the slave cylinder positioned to lightly push the rod outward for which there is no apparent reason. I discovered this when I tagged out the carbon throw out bearing in berry little miles. Apparently my clutch linkage had very little resistance and this spring was maintaining contact of the bearing. Since there was no reason for the spring, I took it out. Everything has worked fine for more than 25K miles

Sent from my iPhone