[Healeys] AH100 v's A90 Engines.

John Harper ah100register at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:40:29 MDT 2018

Alan

Other than fittings, such as the oil filter extension, rocker cover and
other external items  the engines are virtually the same. As you say there
is a difference in the number of bolts holding the distributor. Austin
raised this from one to two just about the time that the first 100 was
introduced. This also applied to other large 4 cylinder engines such as the
A70 Hereford.

Very early 100 might have only one bolt but very late A90 Atlantics might
have two. There is also the possibility that a reconditioned gold seal 100
engine might be delivered with just a single bolt fixing. There is an
Austin Service Journal publication showing how to drill an extra hole in
the distributor two hole fixing plate but this also needs a small amount
cut out of the distributor casing to allow the bolt to be tightened. The
alternative for an early A90 engine is to fit the earlier Lucas distributor
but this can involve other issues.

Best regards

--
Best wishes