[Healeys] Jensen-Healey Question

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Aug 3 11:23:17 MDT 2018

The Lotus 907 DOHC 16 valve engine with twin Dell´Orto´s (twin
Strombergs for the markets outside the UK) was the first engine designed
by Lotus. There were several variants. It started with an atmospheric
2.0 (907), later enlarged to 2.2 (910) and finally a turbo charged 2.2
(912).

It started with the 16 valve head. By coincidence it had the same
spacing between the 4 cylinders as the slant-4 1.6/1.8/2.0/2.3 Vauxhall
engine. They used the 2.0 bottom end to test the head and even build a
racing engine that way. Around 1971 they developed their own alloy
engine block, also slanted. However they kept a few items of the
Vauxhall block: crankshaft and flywheel.

The later V8 was in fact two 912 engines with a common crankcase.

I have a Jensen-Healey and the Lotus 907 engine, when tuned properly
with 45mm Dell´Orto´s, develops around 160 BHP and can be taken up to
about 280BHP.

The J-H always had the Lotus 907 engine.

The Lotus Europa had a Renault engine later replaced by a Ford based
lotus Twin Cam.

Kees Oudesluijs