[Healeys] the studs on new Austin of England badges, a question

sentenac.rw at gmail.com sentenac.rw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 20:39:18 MDT 2017

I am trying to fit a new Austin of England badge on the aluminum boot
lid of #724.  I got the badge from Moss.  It is nicely finished and
the studs on the back actually line up with the holes on my boot lid.

Affixing the studs with the speed nuts provided is my problem.  The
studs are truncated cones (see attachment), rather than the usual
pins, and they are rather short: .25".   My aluminum boot lid is .125"
thick with the primer and paint on it.  The speed nuts are steel arcs.
The arcs are .120" tall, leaving .005" of stud to grab.

My question:  are these cone shaped studs on badges typical now?  Or
did I get a mis-stamped badge that I can just let Moss replace with
one less challenging to install?  I can call Moss on Monday but I
wanted to access the experience and wisdom of the List as well.

Maybe the new badges were engineered for thinner steel boot lids?

-Roland Wilhelmy

---