[Healeys] Fuel Probe

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Nov 29 01:29:34 MST 2017

The original sender/bi-metal gauge combination of this kind should work
fine and is reasonably accurate. The earlier coil gauge is a different
matter. It does not really give a steady reading. You cannot mix the
sender for the coil gauge with the bi-metal gauge and v.v.
The sender can have the rare fault with earthing or a broken coil but it
is easily replaced. Another often overlooked problem is the 10V voltage
stabiliser that serves the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge. This is
a small metal box usually attached to one of the instruments. The
bi-metal keeps the average voltage at 10V. It is not very stable but
fairly durable. If faulty it can better be replaced by a solid state
device. If both temperature gauge and fuel gauge are erratic, replace
the voltage stabiliser.
Kees Oudesluijs