[Healeys] Fuel Probe

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Tue Nov 28 14:27:59 MST 2017

For interested listers ...
Ever since I acquired my BJ8 I have been frustrated with the fuel sender unit and gauge performance and reliability. Changed out the sender 2x and many hours fiddling with gauge adjustment that really with the dual attracted armature mechanism is a challenge. The MS sender ground strap solution helps if you have a problem with crud in the shaft bushes but doesn't help for bad sender coil winding or slider contact malfunction.
So. I embarked on a mini science type project to do a full replacement with a capacitive electronic fuel probe and a modern stepper motor type of gauge. The biggest challenge was getting the probe to fit into the original sender unit opening. Our tanks have a 6 hole flange and modern cars use a 5 hole SAE bolt pattern and an adaptor wasn't feasible. In the end used a probe with 1/8 npt and remote electronics. With careful arrangement of the Al mounting flange that had to be made, was able to get the probe to also measure the fuel in the small well at the bottom of the tank before recording E. Next time would do slightly differently to account for the dead zone at top of the tank that caught me out.
I had a Smiths look alike gauge built but with a modern 5V stepper motor drive. After numerous hiccups along the way, have now got it working satisfactorily ... after spending far too much time (and $) on it as well ! Will verify final accuracy on the road next Spring !
See a few pix; if anyone wants more details - contact me directly.
gauges are: original/new sm/aftermarket sm cheepo for testing

rg