[Healeys] Gearbox jumping out of 4th gear coasting downhill or decelerating

A H List austinhealeyslist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 12:56:09 MST 2017

Hi Bob,

You are right, the detent won't hold the gear in if there are other
issues such as worn or missing parts but they do sometimes drop out of
gear on overrun or light loading just because the gear lever boot is a
bit stiff. Later designs solved the issue by 'dovetailing' the shift
collars which tends to pull the gear further into engagement under
power and decel. This pic shows the very subtle machined dovetail
where the teeth sit when engaged, maybe that is what DW has done.
https://images.cmsnl.com/img/products/sleevesynchronizer_big23622611000-01_5351.jpg

Andy.