[Healeys] Gearbox jumping out of 4th gear coasting downhill or decelerating

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Nov 7 11:56:51 MST 2017

Thanks, Andy.

WRT the indents in the shift rails, I'm of the opinion that the shift
rails and forks should not be depended on to hold the gearbox in gear.
When my BJ8 started popping out of 4th, I tried holding it in gear with
the shift lever; the force required to do so was substantial, and it
occurred to me that fighting a gearbox that wanted to go out of gear
could result in a broken shift fork (which would have created a real
inconvenience when 100 miles from any town and well out of cell phone
range).  I plan on ordering DWR's improved 3/4 hub, which they claim
helps alleviate the jumping out of gear problem, along with new
synchros, shifting forks and layshaft.

Curiously, when I pulled my input and main shafts apart, I don't recall
the caged bearing set falling out.  I had noticed that the input shaft
wobbled a bit more than I thought it should; if we neglected to put
those bearings in at the last rebuild it's a wonder the box stayed in
gear at all!  Also, the tip of my input shaft had more wear than
expected, which could well have been from it wobbling a bit more due to
the missing bearings.

Bob