[Healeys] Starter

goldengt goldengt at cal.net
Wed Mar 15 14:00:37 MDT 2017

Worked ok when I had 175 psi.Ken Freese 65BJ8

-------- Original message --------From: Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> Date: 3/15/17  12:16 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Healeys <healeys at autox.team.net> Subject: [Healeys] Starter
Finally got my rebuilt engine in my BJ8 and started this weekend.  At
first, it ran rough and backfired, but we spotted a secondary ignition
lead shorting out--which probably caused the backfiring--and the timing
was inexplicably set way retarded and once that was corrected it runs
like the proverbial Swiss watch. Based on my scientific
analysis--feeling the exhaust pulses at the tailpipe--this engine is
making big bangs so the compression should be excellent (I'm hoping for
160psi on all 6 or better). But--there's always a 'but'--my starter
seems to have become impotent as far as cranking the engine when (both
are) hot.  AFAIK the starter is original and not rebuilt and has nearly
200K miles on it so a rebuild is likely in order but are our old Lucas
starters up to motivating a fresh engine with good compression?  I
really don't want to go with a gear reduction starter, but if the old
Lucas whiffs what else can I do?

TIA,

Bob

Suggested annual donation  $12.75