[Healeys] Overdrive

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 18:08:28 MST 2017

Listers,

In a previous post, I related problems with my 66 BJ8 overdrive not
working/releasing properly.

The electrical issues have now been solved and the electrics are working
correctly.

The remaining issue is still the release of the overdrive.  The operating
lever is properly adjusted now with the hole in the lever lining up with
the hole in the case.  The operating solenoid/lever engages strongly every
time and the two holes on the right side always line up.

However, when the switch is turned off, the gear selector moved to
neutral and the gas pedal pressed, the solenoid is deactivated (as
indicated by a volt meter) but the lever does not release.  I have removed
and cleaned the operating valve pushrod and reinstalled it.  With the plug
removed I can see the spring jump when the overdrive is switched on.

At first I thought that the solenoid lever was rubbing against the trans
case and not allowing the solenoid lever to release.  But that is not what
is happening (I checked both sides of the trans).  When I apply the
slightest pressure to the solenoid lever (at the solenoid), the lever drops
down into the off position.  Time after time this is happens.  The valve
operating shaft gives a very slight resistance to moving initially and does
not want to release by it's self.  After the very slightest pressure on the
lever, the lever moves easily and drops to the released position.

No matter what I do I cannot get the solenoid lever to drop down on it's
own.  With just the slightest touch it does drop down.  I loosened the
solenoid unit so that it was sort of free floating but no change at all no
matter what I did or how I moved it.  I removed and cleaned the solenoid
and plunger.  Is it possible that something inside the trans is binding the
actuating shaft/lever?

I am really frustrated with getting the overdrive to work properly.  Any
thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

66 BJ8