[Healeys] Oil in oil/water temp gauge

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Jul 20 14:36:27 MDT 2017

Well, Bob, I have opened up a water temp/oil pressure gauge but it was more than 25 years ago and I don't remember the details.  I think it's easy enough to open it yourself and clean it out before reassembling it, if you are careful with it.  There are Bourdon tubes inside that make  the needles move and the works are kind of fragile, so be careful.

Removing the gauge from the car is a major pain because of that ether tube for the water temp, but after it's out you can have a go at opening it or sending it off for professional repair.

I don't quite see why a leak at the nut would put oil inside the gauge.  You may have a small crack somewhere, perhaps the Bourdon tube for the oil. That would require sending it off.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large