[Healeys] Aluminum Radiators available

John O'Brien banjojohn at cox.net
Wed Jul 19 15:21:43 MDT 2017

Looking for any experience with current offerings on ebay.

I just got back a few days ago from the Conclave in Waco.  We had a
great time and met many nice folks.  On our way home to Nebraska driving
in 95 plus temps, my 65 BJ8 started running hotter and hotter until we
had to pull into a service station and let it cool down.  It boiled over
in the lot, so I had to replace some antifreeze solution too.  It seemed
like, once the gauge got over 212 the temp rocketed well past the 230
upper limit on the gauge. I had a similar situation last year driving to
Wisconsin on a hot day.

So... I'm thinking of replacing the radiator with an aluminum one.  I
put an aluminum rad. in my bugeye a few years back and never have a heat
problem.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the aluminum
radiators on ebay.  One is a Worley for $355.00 w/ free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-radiator-for-AUSTIN-HEALEY-3000-1959-1967-manual-/112368575956?fits=Make%3AAustin+Healey%7CModel%3A3000&epid=906260673&hash=item1a29b065d4:g:zbQAAOSw4CFY7nCD&vxp=mtr

and the other is a GPI racing at $350.00 w/ free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/aluminum-radiator-AUSTIN-HEALEY-3000-1959-1967-/252984917906?fits=Make%3AAustin+Healey%7CModel%3A3000&hash=item3ae7137f92:g:Ia4AAOSwnHZYfX0m&vxp=mtr

Both made in China and look almost the same except the Worley fan guard
looks different.  The GPI looks more like the original Healey rad.  I've
also seen an American made one from Wizard Cooling for $499.00,
https://wizardcooling.com/1959-1968-austin-healey-3000-aluminum-radiator/
that looks very close to the GPI.  The Worley and GPI do not look like
they have the overflow tube on the side of the filler neck like the Wizard.

Any thoughts or experience with any of these would be appreciated.

John O'Brien

'65 BJ8 (Madelyn)

'61 Bugeye (Lucy)