[Healeys] Bottom end mods

A H List austinhealeyslist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 20:45:28 MDT 2017

Question for those who have built race engines, what, if anything is
necessary for survival at higher rpm in the bottom end of a six
cylinder? This is an old race car from the 70s which hasn't run since
then and we are getting it back together after it collapsed a piston
due to detonation.

Previously the bottom end was bone stock apart from Jahns pistons-
which don't appear to be of very good quality. I have gone with
dome-top Ross forged pistons, will keep with stock rods and crank
since it won't be a serious competition car, more of a weekend racer.

I know on the A series BMC engine it is common to strap the centre
main bearing, is this something worth doing on the six? Any pics?

What about camshaft oiling? Most likely will go with a reprofiled
original stick, however if there are known issues with this approach
then I would look at a replacement.

Has anyone experienced a bottom end letting go due to inadequate
strength of the stock crank/rods? What about rod bolts, are they
available as uprated strength?

Flywheel- is the stock lightened manhole cover adequate?

What is a safe redline for the stock parts?

Appreciate any input/experience from the collective wisdom

Andy.