[Healeys] Rear axle ratios

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 09:22:53 MST 2017

I have std. 4.1 in my 100M--it definitely gets off the line well--and I
put a Lempert gearset in my BJ8.  The M isn't comfortable to drive much
over 70MPH, and I generally observe the 4K RPM 'red line' for the
100s--crank failures can happen above that--but it's a hoot driving the
mountainous roads around the SF Bay Area.  The BJ8 is the better touring
car, but it does take some finessing to get it off the line
(surprisingly, dumping the clutch relatively quickly but smoothly works
the best, but sometimes I have to slip the clutch more than I like).

I think a 3.9 might work well for an 'all-around' car, since the taller
OD helps for cruising, but if you're looking at mostly highway miles the
3.54 would be the way to go.  I remember Gary Anderson (I think) once
saying a 3.54 with the 28% OD might be the best arrangement of all, but
you'll lose some quickness.

Bob