[Healeys] Split the Calipers?

Mike Tobin ahbt71 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:41:26 MST 2017

Thanks for all the feedback.
I've done scuzzy calipers before and used the car's hydraulic pressure to
remove the pistons.  Not an option this time.  The calipers are the next
step in a frame-up restoration.  Got the rebuilt shocks from Worldwide this
week and the kingpins should be back from Nock any day.
You can see the pistons are pretty far out - the pads were almost gone.  I
used the biggest pry I have and could not get the pistons to move inward,
so I didn't see how I was going to get them out.
With the assurance of a faction in the group I split a caliper and was able
to get the pistons to move inward using my bench vice (nothing l ike
getting the force applied in the right direction).  Tomorrow I'll take Bob
Haskell's advice and use pressure from a grease gun to push them out.
Gotta buy a new one - a box of tools didn't make it when we moved this past
summer (I moved the Healey (in pieces) myself so everything made it).
Yeah, I coulda just bought rebuilds, but I decided to do as much a possible
myself.  It's been a struggle at times but there's real satisfaction being
able to look at it and sya "I did that!".

Cheers,
Mike Tobin
Townsend

The calipers' home awaits (and I welded in that shock mount myself dammit!).

.