[Healeys] Pitted chrome.

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 16:50:14 MDT 2017

The Paris BJ8 was over in Devon, UK, for my daughter's wedding. Our damp
weather showed up one issue:-

I think that a PO fitted cheap and cheerful chrome back in the days when the
new bumpers looked good for a couple of years then dissolved. His bumpers
look great most of the time....shiny and just right. BUT, given a bit of
damp, some areas come up with a smear of rusty brown. A big enough smear to
be noticeable and to jar somewhat with the otherwise fairly pristine
appearance of his car. Close inspection reveals areas of minute pitting
which give off rust.

We'll wait until the car's back in the UK before fitting decent new bumpers.
Mainly because we'll be doing the "top cowl" of the grille at the same time
and that's a job and a half!!

So, until then, what can he do to keep the rust/pitting under control? Maybe
some proprietary snake oil which will stop the oxidization and seal the
pitting. And another bottle of magic something or other to keep the water
off the snake oil....not paint surely, but some sort of wax....?

Any ideas? Thanks,

Simon