[Healeys] Existential Question on Bearings

Mirek Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 10 21:48:23 MDT 2017

Bob,  I just finished doing exactly that on my BT7.  I last replaced them in
the late '70s, as you say, out of principle as I don't ever recall an issue
with them (they have been re-packed a few times since then!).  I cleaned
them thoroughly and carefully inspected them, including the outer races in
the hubs.  I also turned them in my hand (don't spin them fast when  dry -
it is not good for them), applying some pressure so the rollers ran on the
inner race to see if I could detect any rough spots.  They seemed fine so
after setting up the end-float I packed them full of grease and put 'em back
in.  I meticulously follow the procedure in the manual: shimming between the
bearings to get zero end-float.  I do this set up before packing with grease
as to really feel any play in the bearings.  I do just spray them with WD 40
so there is some lubricant on them when they are turned as part of the
set-up, but then I wash that off before packing with grease.

Mirek