[Healeys] Gear shift lever bending (No Healey Content)

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 19:22:06 MDT 2017

The gear shift lever on one of my race cars broke and though I have had it
repaired--as in sleeved/welded up--I do not have confidence in its future
reliability.
The transmission is a UK Ford unit, commonly used in Lotuses and Cortinas,
but because of the compactness of the car's cockpit, etc. the stick must be
modified from its original configuration by putting about a 30 degree angle
in the straight section in order to clear the dash panel.

I have sourced a replacement which is described as "billet" and my question
is whether heating and bending the gear lever in order to introduce the
necessary angle would weaken it significantly.  Opinions and tips solicited
and welcome.

Best--Michael Oritt