[Healeys] Healey Parts

Robert F. Begani RFBegani at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 20 02:53:38 MDT 2017

I just loved Perry's detailed accurate report on the history of finding
parts for our Healey's.

On that subject, last spring I removed the engine in my BJ8 and had it
machined.  My good friend who is a retired machinist and I assembled it and
then I left Florida for the summer.  He finished it and put it in my garage.
So after a year of scrubbing the oil and grease from the engine bay , frame,
touch up painting and so on we are installing the engine and trans next
week.  During our discussions this week about did you???, he said "did I
tell you about the water pump?"

It seems the frame of the pump did not meet the opening on the engine.  As a
machinist he always checks to see if one part is a mirror image of the other
part when joining two parts.  He ground out 3/4" from one side of the pump
opening.  He suggests the engine might run cooler with a larger flow of
water through the pump which was purchased and installed 5 years ago from a
well-known supplier so I did not replace it on the engine rebuild.  So much
for today's parts!

Still they are better and easier to obtain than days gone by.

Bob Begani

BJ8 67