[Healeys] Generator swap

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 01:54:48 MDT 2017

Hi,

I have a MkII BT7 fitted with an alternator. I still have the generator, C45
I think, and it's got new brushes, bearings etc. Works well.

My nephew's car in Paris, being a BJ8, has a C42. Slightly higher output.

Now, my question is this, my never having seen both together:-

Can I swap my BT7 genny into his BJ8?? Are they the same size so will fit
onto the mountings?

Are the electrical connections the same?

Any other thoughts?

We haven't determined that his genny is at fault yet, but it's looking
likely. Conceivably, I'll fly over and give him a hand. Carrying a genny,
meter etcetc by air won't be too easy these days. (Security issues). But
carrying the wrong one would be heartbreaking. If you see what I mean!

The plan is for the BJ8 to come over to the UK in early July. We can get his
dead genny swapped or refurbished by then.

OR, if you all tell me that the units are not physically interchangeable, I
could take over the correct one (exchange unit) from one of the suppliers
and bring back his dead one.

Simon