[Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight

Bruce Steele healeybruce at roadrunner.com
Mon Apr 17 22:33:45 MDT 2017

Many of you weighed in last January when I posted my question on keeping the
rear shocks tight.  A machinist friend manufactured the mounting plates
based on the attached drawing.  He also CNC machined 3/8" thick hardened
steel "spacer/washers" that I used between the shock body ears and the lock
washers.  He charged me $100 for his work, which took him a couple of hours
(I supplied the stock).  Special thanks to Michael Salter and Larry Varley
for the ideas, and Ian Hey, who was the source of the drawing.  I didn't
drive the car much between then and when I pulled the engine last November,
but the bolts stayed tight.  Nonetheless, I decided to take advantage of
having things apart now and upgraded to Grade 10 socket head bolts (5/16"
hex key) from the Grade 8 button head bolts I first used, and added a
locking nut on the back side of the threaded plate.  The 5/16" socket head
allows for better torque with an Allen wrench, which is necessary on the
rear bolts due to interference from the shock arm.  The front bolts can be
tightened with a hex key socket on a long extension.  Thought I'd share a
photo of the final assembly.  So far, so good.  Thanks, guys!

Bruce Steele

Brea, CA

1960 BN7