[Healeys] "Engine making a weird noise"

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Mon Apr 10 14:41:02 MDT 2017

Hi,

Advice from the experts required please:-

(No just the experts. We can all have a go.

So, I got this, below, from my nephew just now:-

QUOTE:-

Hi Uncle Simon!
...... I went to work with the healey on Saturday. All went well in the
morning but on the way back the engine stopped just after the gate... And it
would not start: as if the battery was flat: not much happening when trying
to start it! I spent 30 min checking the distributor, wires, etc. all seemed
normal.
I called the assistance. They came with a battery booster which got the car
started immediately. After 15min of driving I found myself in a traffic jam.
The car kept on wanting to stop. I tried keeping the revs up but it did not
work well: the engine was making a weird noise, the car had very little
power and the revs did not want to go high: 4500 maximum. I don't see what
that engine problem has got to do with the battery?
And I can't explain how the new battery can be flat!?
The engine stopped in front of my garage. It would not start. I pushed the
car in it. And left. I was a bit fed up with it so did not go back. I might
do in a few days...
Any ideas about the problem!?
PH

UNQUOTE

Well, the battery may be new, but I suspect it's used quite frequently and
doesn't get time to get charged.

Main problem is the lack of power and other related issues. Car is a BJ8
with a very recently fitted Pertronix EI and coil.

I'm thinking coil or coil connections or timing. The car's in a basement in
Paris; I'm in Devon, UK which makes life tricky.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Simon