[Healeys] Evans Waterless Coolant

Deejay2650 . deejay2650 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 18:05:07 MDT 2017

Hi Bruce,
I have been using a similar product here 'down under' in my '67 BJ8 and
after a partial engine rebuild, found that my running temperatures were
consistently reaching 212 degrees F.
A good friend, who is a motor mechanic, removed all the suspect coolant
into a large plastic container. He had cause to move the container a couple
of hours later and found that the coolant was still hot to the touch.
On further investigation, we found that the product should have been used
as a complete total system (ie) totally waterless and that at some time
prior to my ownership of the Healey, it had been used in a 60/40 ratio with
water, which is a definite no-no. I had been topping it up with the
waterless coolant thus compounding the problem.
The problem is that the product is *'endothermic' *which means it contains
heat rather than dissipating it!
Our fix was to completely flush the system continually until no trace of
the suspect coolant was found, fill with fresh distilled water containing
the correct ratio of 'Penrite Classic Coolant'. What a difference that
made! No more over-heating problems and the Healey now runs at a
comfortable 170 degrees F. all day!
Here is a pic of the temp gauge after a switch-off heat-soak prior to
removing the suspect waterless coolant....Yikes!
I will never use a product like that again it just masks an over-heating
problem, in my opinion.

Cheers
Darryl Ross
Wagga Wagga,