[Healeys] Spokes & Tubes

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 10 14:42:50 MDT 2016

Dan:

It depends.  I run 72 spoke chrome wheels on both Healeys.  The tri-carb has approx. 10 year old Daytons – tubeless - on it.  I’ve never has a problem with them needing to be trued, and they are well sealed – no air leaks in 25 – 30 thousand miles.  The 72 spoke wheels not only have more spokes than the 48’ and 60’s, but the spoke is a heavier (thicker) wire gauge that is unlikely to need trueing in normal use.  So tubeless would be a good gamble with these wheels.

About 3 –4 years ago, I bought the second set  of Daytons – from Allen Hendrix for the BJ8, along with a friend who bought a set at the same time for his BJ8.  These wheels were ordered tubeless, but when they were checked, they were found to be so far out of true from the factory that Allen had to true them all and install tubes in order to have them run even close to properly on the cars.   It was obvious that Dayton was having production problems at the time, al least with that wheel size.  It seems that the MWS wheels are built to a much better quality standard these days.  I wouldn’t hesitate to run tubeless on the stronger wheels now.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb