[Healeys] tire pressure

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 24 16:55:27 MDT 2016

Likewise, you can use a tire depth gauge.  This will take more time but over
time it can indicate problems other than tire pressure.  Measure the depth
at the inner edge of the tire, the center of the tire, and the outer edge of
the tire.  If checked every six or so months, even wear over the width of
the tread would indicate a pressure that is providing full tread contact
(9-9-9).  If wear is greater at the edges, tire pressure is too low (7-9-7).
If wear is greater in the center, pressure it too high (9-7-9).  If one edge
is wearing more than the other, wheel alignment could be a problem (7-9-9 or
9-9-7).

If you need an excuse to  go out and drive the car hard periodically, the
chalk method will be your first and best choice.  The depth gauge method
will make you check your tire pressure and wear close-up more often so I
recommend you do that, also.

While you are down there, check the date on the tires and the condition of
the sidewalls.  If you are getting depth readings at or below the threes or
they are over 7 - 10 years old, you are overdue for new ones.

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031