[Healeys] pressure

sentenac.rw at gmail.com sentenac.rw at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:32:23 MDT 2016

Hi Mike,

You don't say that you installed different sized tires from the
original so I'm assuming original.  These tires aren't much different
from those on VW Beetles in size.  I wouldn't start with lower
pressure in front than rear in a Healey.  That is what they did with
swing axle rear engined VWs to counter their tail heavy oversteer.
Healey weight distribution and suspension is very different.

So 25/25 if you want to run pressures that low.  I'd personally start
at 30/30 and go from there, observing and experimenting to find what
you like.  Higher pressure will mean easier steering to some extent,
and if you drive on curvy roads like I do you don't want to wear out
the outside edges of the tread before the center is worn.  I am sure
that there are other folks with more and better ideas.

-Roland
BN2 (long time ago)
BJ7  (in a good home elsewhere, now)
BN1 (in restoration by me, now)

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 12:48:36 -0700, you wrote:

>Well, at the risk of starting a never-ending thread, what's the
>consensus on tire pressure for my BJ8?  I will be doing mostly local
>driving, certainly not racing (!), and will be setting them cold.  The
>book says 20/25, which seems low to me.

---