[Healeys] Correct Rocker Panels

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Oct 23 14:16:10 MDT 2016

I just checked the rockers on our BN2 with a straightedge.  There is a
very slight upward 'bow' on the bottom side of the panels, and slight
curves inward at the front and back of the panels as viewed from above
so, yes, there are compound curves (I tried to get some shots with my
phone, but you couldn't really see the curvature, esp. with black
coves).  These are Kilmartin pieces purchased from Moss, and I think
they're the best available (I heard somewhere they bought some original
tooling from BMC, or their receivers).  If you have a large order, it
may be less expensive to order directly from Kilmartin, even with
shipping from Down Under.

The bottom side edges are probably the most difficult to get correct on
a Healey; they should be a continuous curve from the rear of the front
wheel well to the front of the rear wheel well, as seen both from the
side and from above.  I've seen otherwise nice restorations not get this
right.  When you fit new rockers, you have to assemble the doors and
front and rear wings (fenders) to get the best possible alignment before
welding.  Also, sometimes rear dogleg replacement results in a 'spur'
sticking out in front of the wheels.

Bob