[Healeys] BN1 Spiral Bevel diff backlash setup query

spinaway at xtra.co.nz spinaway at xtra.co.nz
Sat Oct 8 16:09:08 MDT 2016

Hi
I have BN1 Healey with Spiral Bevel diff. The diff functioned fine.

I pulled my spiral bevel diff to bits many years ago and am now putting it back together. I
have the pinion gear installation sorted ok, with the right shims to give about the right
pre-load on rotation.
The backlash is set by moving or adding shims between the diff carrier bearings on either side
of the diff carrier crown wheel housing. This has the effect of moving the crown wheel
sideways slightly.

Firstly I don't have any shims, I dont recall any when I disassembled the unit. The diff
backlash measured good before I disassembled the unit, about 6 thou I think. My memory of
it could be bad !
I see now that I can buy shims if required from some UK sellers, so that's ok.

My big question is. In order to find out what shim width you require you have to fit the 2
bearings to do a test. Then if shims are required the bearings have to be pulled off the crown
wheel carrier !! The bearing on the side closest to the crown wheel is difficult to remove
without damaging the bearing !!
So whats the trick here to do a good setup and not damage the bearings at the same time

I think I am missing something here.
Any help appreciated.
Spinaway //  NZ