[Healeys] su pumps again

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Nov 22 07:33:51 MST 2016

re: "Regular maintainance and repairing parts apparently is not a US thing"

Not for some, maybe, but I maintain and repair:

- a BJ8
- a BN2/100M (frame-off resto by my father and myself)
- a 2008 Mustang GT

I help maintain and repair:

- a 1919 Seagrave pumper fire engine
- a 1946 Chevy 2-ton truck
- a 1955 Thunderbird
- a 1965 Mustang
- a 2002 Lincoln LS
- a couple farm tractors

We always try to repair any parts we can, if for no other reason than
we're cheap asses.

There is a thriving aftermarket and 'do-it-yourself' market for
individuals who maintain, repair and restore/customize cars here in the
US.  Ever hear of SEMA?  There are also a couple cable TV networks
somewhat devoted to the aficionado and 'do-it-yourselfer.'

I futzed with SU fuel pumps--I have 5 or 6--for years with varying
degrees of success (including installing a solid state kit).  Like John,
I followed my Bentley manual--and any other info I could find--to the
letter.  I finally got tired of messing with them and had a 'pro' build
a couple solid state versions for me.  The last time I installed a new
points set they showed burning within a few hundred miles.  The points
appeared to be shiny silver, not dull tungsten, and the builder verified
quality points were no longer available.

I still carry 2 spares.

Bob

ps.  Does EVERYBODY in Europe maintain and repair their own cars and parts?