[Healeys] 100-4

Andrew Uprichard auprichard at uprichard.net
Wed Nov 2 08:20:30 MDT 2016

Recently I was driving my Triumph TR3 when a guy pulled up alongside me and
said "I have one of those.  Want to see it?"

It turned out he lived just a few miles away so I went to his house and
there in a barn out back was a 1957 small-mouth under a pile of cardboard
boxes. "Yes, " he said, "I put the cars away when my daughter was born in
1980 and have never gotten around to doing anything with them."

"Them?" I asked.  Sure, enough, behind the TR3 was an Austin-Healey 100-4.
It too was covered in cardboard boxes but from what I could see was intact
and remarkably rust free.  Confessing my Austin-Healey ignorance, I asked if
it was a 100-M but he said it was earlier.  In fact he said it was one of
the first 1000 made.  So I guess it is a BN1? 1953 - 1955?

Anyway,  the guy claims he will one day restore both cars, which would be
difficult as (a) he has very little mechanical knowledge, (b) he has no
space or equipment, and (c) he is definitely getting along in age. I
pestered him (mainly for the TR3, but I was also interested in the Healey)
but the one I should have been pestering was his wife who was telling him to
sell.  I may go back and try again in a month or so.

So - after all of that - if the car is as good as it looks, what does the
list think it is worth ?

Andrew Uprichard