[Healeys] Healey Values

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Sun Jul 31 18:13:33 MDT 2016

OK---maybe I came down a bit hard on my response, but for goodness sake, all I was trying to do was point out the fact that Healey values (according to Hagerty) have decreased, and that is was a bit of bad news to me anyway.  I wasn't talking about how much we love them or work on them or their value to us.

tom
---- Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike at att.net> wrote:

Righteous?  Really Tom?  This was not a personal attack.  It was a general statement.  Prices can not go up forever.  There are cycles to any commodity.  Eventually prices will rise again.  Of course taking a loss is not anyone's ideal situation.  Maybe you should have been into Porsches ten years ago or so.  Right now they are going for ridiculous sums almost no one can afford.  As far as I am concerned I am into Healey cars because I like them.  If money was a concern I would not have spent almost $25K restoring my Bugeye back in 1999 with no hope of ever recovering that amount when I sell it.  I just love Bugeyes.  Besides the auction prices are artificially inflated by people looking only for an investment.  Austin Healeys are going the way of the Model T anyway.  Model Ts are going for very low prices these days because there is no one left that originally drove them.  It won't be long before Healeys suffer the same fate.  Eventually the restoration scene will be mostly Japanese tuner cars for the next generation.  Even the Peterson museum recognizes this.  My son's 2002 Lexus lowered drifter car is on their brochure.  There will always be a market for Austin Healey cars, it just won't be as big as it is today.  Not being confrontational, I just see the writing on the wall.Mike MacLean