[Healeys] rear hub

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Jul 25 17:16:34 MDT 2016

No, Bob, I haven't checked it.  I haven't had any reason to take the rear
hubs apart since I put them together in February 2002 and about 60K miles
ago.  I suppose if a bearing isn't bottomed out in its hole then
theoretically it might move inward; but with everything buttoned up I don't
see any loads on the spacer/bearing to make it move inward.  Anyway, I don't
have any oil leaks.  I think the spacer's function is, as you say, to load
the outer race of the bearing to keep it from spinning and that function is
calculated to work with the specified dimensions, otherwise the instructions
would say to bottom out the bearing in its hole and the dimension would be
whatever it would be, since spacers are not of various thicknesses like
shims.
I don't believe the spacer would be very effective in preventing oil leaks
to the brake shoes.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry