[Healeys] Bj8 stuck heater valve

carroll phillips bjcap at optonline.net
Mon Jul 18 06:20:41 MDT 2016

What happens usually is the small spring gets rusted with corrosion and
expands making the already tight clearance tighter and old grease. I use
a little heat from a propane torch on the valve body and it will help
loosen the grease to turn easier.Apply some 50/50 acetone and automatic
trans fluid. Next I use a pick and chip away at the corrosion until  the
spring is free and can compress,you can tap the end as Michael suggested
( I use a soft rubber hammer)   Usually they can be reused ,many Ive
seen have been too rusted, small springs of the correct diameter can be
found thru McMaster or internet. Now you can TRY and get the small
cotter pin out ,if it breaks do not drill it out as the drill will
wander away from the hard cotter pin and go into the softer brass. Use a
small pair of pliers or small drift or nail and work one of the halves
of the pin free, always came out after awhile if fiddling.Soak parts in
carb cleaner ,  gently use fine 3M scuff pad on cone if needed, no
coarse sandpaper. Lightly grease and assemble. New valves always leaked
, save your originals. The valves can be indexed by sanding down the red
/ black gasket till they seat vertically when screwed in to the block or
if  radiator , to where the handle is conveniently oriented when closed.

Carroll